Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Magic of Comfort Food

Do you ever find yourself away from home mentally going through your cupboards, refrigerator and freezer wondering what's hiding in the deepest darkest places that would be good for dinner? I do...all the time! I'm always looking for the "wow" ingredient that will help me transform dinner into something magical. 

This time my daydreams sent me on a magical journey of comfort food. Ok, it wasn't that magical but at least I knew I had all the ingredients on hand to pull it off. Ground beef, check. Macaroni, check. Tomatoes, check. Seasonings, check. Parmesan cheese, check.

Everything I need for some American Classic Goulash. Now I don't eat pasta a lot, actually very rarely, but sometimes I just get this craving and need to get my carb fix. I prefer spaghetti, but I had to feed my husband and he WILL NOT touch spaghetti with a ten foot pole. So I'm happy I can get him to eat goulash.  So let's get on to my version of the infamous recipe.



American Classic Goulash

Servings: 4
Yield: 4 servings


1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 onion,  chopped 

2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups canned stewed or crushed tomatoes
1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons dried Italian herb seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste
1-1/2 to 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste


In a deep frying pan, cook and stir the ground beef, chopped onion (or grated on a fine grater for those onion haters in your life) and garlic over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the meat is no longer pink and has started to brown, about 10 minutes. Skim off excess fat.

Add water, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and seasoned salt to the ground beef mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While sauce is simmering, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6-7 minutes depending on brand. Remove from heat and drain.

Once sauce is done simmering discard bay leaves and add macaroni (I made it with 2 cups of macaroni and it wasn't too saucy - for a saucier goulash cook 1-1/2 cups). Stir until combined. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy.



So can comfort food be magical? I don't know, but I do now it's pure deliciousness! 

I found the original recipe on Allrecipes but changed things up a bit to suit our tastes. Click here to view the recipe that inspired my version.

Try it. You'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment