Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pumpkin Pie and Homemade Rolls - Now That's What I Call Thanksgiving Dinner

The men in my life are hunters and this time of year I become like many other women, a deer widow. Unfortunately those four-legged creatures have beckoned my husband to the woods on Thanksgiving long before we were married. I'm used to it. I'm ok with it. We compromised a few years back. As long as we share Christmas together I'm ok without my husband by my side on Thanksgiving. It doesn't mean I like it but I accept it. And my son has followed in his footsteps. So my daughter-in-law, my grandson and myself pack ourselves up and trot on over to my sister's house to share Thanksgiving with my family. Where we pig out until we feel like we could roll ourselves out the door, or until someone calls an ambulance, whichever comes first.

When my son was young and still lived at home I would make Thanksgiving dinner a week or so before the big day. I didn't do it because I loved turkey - my favorites are all the sides and dessert. Heck, I don't even need the turkey. I did it because I wanted Thanksgiving at home - with the men I loved. Since my son is now grown and gone, that tradition has gone by the wayside and it saddens me. I'm not quite sure why we stopped but it happened. 


Yearning for more family traditions of our own coupled with the desire to relight what was important to me, at the last minute I threw the idea out to my son to have our turkey dinner this past weekend. But poor communication on my part, combined with busy lives, and last minute Lucy (me!) it didn't happen as planned. 


The turkey was bought and thawed so I trudged forward. I planned on a few traditional things you see at a Thanksgiving dinner only on a smaller scale. Green beans, which we had grown and canned earlier this year, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade rolls and pumpkin pie.


I've made homemade rolls before but yeast and I are not the best of friends. However, Rhodes Rolls and I get along just fine. But I was determined to give it another try.  I found a highly rated recipe on Allrecipes.com and went for it.  They were soft, tender, delicious. They were heavenly. I think they should be renamed "Heavenly Dinner Rolls". Here are my results:



Click here for the recipe --- Sweet Dinner Rolls
Now the name implies sweet but trust me - they're perfect and have only a hint of sweetness. Pure deliciousness and easy to make. What could get better than that? 

Pumpkin pie is my Thanksgiving dessert of choice. I love it. I found a new recipe for pumpkin pie on Allrecipes.com that I thought I would try.  When I make pie I always make my own crust but not without struggling. I remembered watching the new Food Network show Heartland Table and watching Amy Thielen make her Butter Crust and she made it look so easy. I was especially intrigued because I had always used shortening and no longer use it. So I searched for her recipe and gave it a try. Bingo! Another keeper!! This bakes up so tender and flaky. Just melt in your mouth goodness! This will be my go-to pie crust recipe from now on. The crust recipe is in with her Blueberry Pie recipe but here it is - Butter Crust


Here is how my Pumpkin Pie turned out:


Click here for the recipe --- Pumpkin Pie II
I didn't have evaporated milk on hand so I just put all the milk into a pan and simmered down until I had what the recipe called for. Worked great. And this was delicious served with sweetened fresh whipped cream.

So next year I will plan better and we will have our tradition back. And by then, we can share with the new grand baby who will be coming soon.

So live a little. Who needs turkey when you have delicious sides and desserts? My favorite. Especially the rolls and pie!



4 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly! I think your blog is really great, and as a fellow food blogger, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out this link to find out what it entails. http://kimscookingnow.blogspot.com/2013/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I love the sweet dinner rolls. I have blogged about them also. I make them every year! I am also a hunter's widow and grew up with family who went out hunting on Thanksgiving morning however, they were back in time for dinner. Things really change also and as I have gotten older, kids are no longer home, have their own spouses and more than just me to spend the holidays with, it doesn't seem to bother me as much that Grumpy is out in the woods. It just has become another day to me which is kind of sad. The last couple of years, since we moved, we now go to my Aunt's house who is close by. Grumpy has been making sure to go with me every year, but he always goes hunting for the morning watch at least! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we lived closer Shelby, us hunting widows could enjoy a day out!

    ReplyDelete